↑ Return to ACS

ACS Cases

ACS Cases

acs casesHow Do ACS Cases Start?

ACS encourages anyone to report child abuse or neglect by calling anonymously. The call can be from a stranger, a teacher, a doctor, or a policeman. A call can also be made as revenge for a perceived insult or by a former lover.

Once a report is received, ACS is required to now visit the parent at the child’s home. If an ACS worker visits your home, do not let them inside! Do not answer their questions. Do not yell at them or curse them. Calmly inform them that they should contact your lawyer and immediate call the law offices of Brooklyn ACS attorney Michael Discioarro. If you choose to speak with the ACS worker they will not record your conversation and will likely misinterpret any statements you make to work against you and your child.

How Is Child Abuse Reported?

According to the ACS website, reports of suspected child abuse or maltreatment should be made immediately — at any time of the day and on any day of the week — by telephone to the New York Statewide Central Register of Child Abuse and Maltreatment (referred to as the State Central Register or SCR). The child abuse hotline is: 1-800-342-3720

The Child Protective Specialist who answers the call will ask for as much information as possible about both the suspected abuse or maltreatment and the family of the child.

What Is A Mandated Reporter?

child abuse lawyerNew York State and the New York State Child Protective System recognize certain professionals as holding the important role of mandated reporter of child abuse. These professionals can be held liable by both the civil and criminal legal systems for intentionally failing to make a report. Professions that cover mandated reporters include:

  • Social Worker
  • Licensed Creative Arts Therapist
  • Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist
  • Licensed Mental Health Counselor
  • Licensed Psychoanalyst
  • Physician
  • Surgeon
  • Dentist
  • Dental Hygienist
  • Resident
  • Intern
  • Registered Nurse
  • Psychologist
  • Mental Health Professional
  • Substance Abuse Counselor
  • Peace Officer
  • District Attorney, or Assistant District Attorney
  • School Official
  • Social Services Worker
  • Day Care Center Worker
  • Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs)

Mandated reporters are required to report suspected child abuse when they are provided with reasonable cause.

What Happens After A Report Is Made?

The Child Protective Service (CPS) unit of the local department of social services is required to begin an investigation of each report within 24 hours. The investigation should include an evaluation of the safety of the child named in the report and any other children in the home, and a determination of the risk to the children if they continue to remain in the home.

CPS has 60 days after receiving the report to determine whether the report is “indicated” or “unfounded”. If the report is unfounded, you will receive written notification from the Statewide Central Register. If the report is indicated, you will receive written notification from the local CPS (or investigative agency). This notice will also inform you of any right to appeal the decision of the investigative agency to indicate the report.

contact acs attorneyIf you are worried about an ACS report or investigation you should contact ACS Attorney Michael Discioarro. 917-519-8417 24 hours a day – 7 days a week. Hire an ACS attorney who will fight for your rights.